Monday, 10 April 2017

the seasonal garden: spring

After months of cold, wet and downright misery, the milder, sunnier months of spring are finally upon us. Not only are humans coming out of their winter hibernation, our gardens are also springing to life...
When Hubby and I moved into our new build in September 2015, we had little more than a pile of mud and a few slabs, so we worked hard during 2016 to ensure we laid the foundations for a usable garden, somewhere we could eat breakfast on summer's mornings, or potter about on warm spring and autumn days, and eventually somewhere our kids could play. 

While our garden may not currently be the dream garden, or even the 'finished' garden I imagined, I'm determined to add some life to it this year - I want more than a few pots. Late last summer we built a raised bed, which has stood empty and unused. This spring (hopefully end of this month/beginning of next) I want to get it filled with compost and top soil so I can start planting and experimenting with the kinds of plants and flowers I want to grow; I have such vivid dreams for this small outdoor space.
If you've got grand plans for your garden but aren't too sure what needs doing when, here are my must-do jobs for the season of spring...

1. Pick off any developing seed heads on daffodils and other spring bulbs so they don't waste energy setting seed, but leave the foliage to die back naturally.

2. Sow in pots indoors: tomatoes, chillies, sweet peppers and sunflowers. Sow sweet peas in deep pots and keep them frost free in a greenhouse or on a sunny windowsill. Once they develop, prick out seedlings as soon as they produce their first true leaves.

3. Mow your lawn and re-cut the edges with a half-moon edging tool; repair damaged patches.

4. Plant dahlias tubers in pots indoors and plant out after all risk of frost has passed, usually mid-May. Water thirsty crops (tomatoes, cucumbers and courgettes) regularly as the weather warms up.

5. Apply wood treatment to wooden garden furniture to condition it for summer. Build (or buy) a new compost bin to recycle the coming season's garden waste.

6. Keep bird feeders stocked and make boxes for solitary bees; hang in a sunny part of the garden.

7. Indoors, start feeding house-plants once a week with liquid fertiliser continuing through to autumn.

Home Etc

Happy Monday :)

3 comments:

  1. Great minds think alike, I'm determined to make more of our garden this year too!! Look forward to hearing how you get on X #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaah these are such lovely updates Laura — I always read them and make a mental note of all the things we need to do!!! I DEFINITELY need to re-cut the edges with a half-moon edger. We mowed our lawn for the first time this year, on the weekend, and the edges of the lawn have totally disappeared!! I need to get back on my feet again though first — I don't think I'm going to be gardening for a while yet! #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to get on this to do list too. I would love to have a beautiful garden, but the upkeep is unreal! xx

    ReplyDelete