Friday, 19 August 2016

pimp my patio

Remember that time I pimped my patio with WayFair?
Wayfair's #PatioPerfect campaign inspired me.

You don't get much with a new build garden; a few slabs (we were given exactly 25), a sturdy fence and lots of soil but that's about all. This is what our garden looked like at the beginning of the year...
As you can see, a whole heap of nothing.

I wanted a garden I could relax in; I wanted somewhere low maintenance but functional; I wanted somewhere pretty where I could experiment with growing different things. We'd had a garden at our old house but it was really overlooked and had no grass but lots and lots of slabs. It wasn't somewhere we ever really spent any time; and then a whole heap of things happened to make us fall out of love with that house and so, we never made anything of the garden. When we moved in to this house, I promised myself this garden would be different. And so, almost nine months after moving in, we set about making this garden our own.

We started by ripping up the builder-grade slabs and reusing them in the top left-hand corner of the garden as a shed base (our shed will be delivered and erected today)!

We then had to dig out our new much larger patio area, which would stretch from fence to the edge of our utility/downstairs loo area...

The weather didn't always cooperate... I'm sure the neighbours thought we were having a pool installed..

Once it was dug out, we then had to fill it back in with hardcore and sand...

So the slabs we'd chosen could be laid...

It took Tom and his friend (who used to transform gardens for a living) four weekends, which may have been longer than we first though but the weather wasn't always on our side and Tom's friend was an utter perfectionist, which was great for me!

I'm thrilled with the outcome and love spending time in the garden these days, when the weather allows.

Home Etc

Obviously, there's still a bit to do but with our shed being delivered and a raised bed being built this weekend, there should be even more to report come Monday :)

4 comments:

  1. Ah you've made it look really lovely. A really nice, cosy space to relax outside in. I can't wait until we can work on our garden, as it's a bit of a mess at the moment! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks for your kind words Alex; I'm sure you'll get around to doing up your garden soon. I'm having to learn the art of patience; I wish everything could be done at once, but we just don't have the money or the time. Rome wasn't built in a day though x

      Delete
  2. Those stones look lovely and it is really perfect for entraining and relaxing! What a great job!! Thanks for sharing!

    #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this kind of post Laura! It's so nice to see the before and after pics and really get a feel for how much work has been done :) Thanks for linking up, Caro x #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete