Wednesday, 15 June 2016

a sleep-friendly bedroom

You might think all you need for a good night's sleep is a bed, but you'd be wrong.
As we spend a third of our lives asleep, it's vital to create a calm, restful and relaxing environment conducive to sleeping. You'd think bedrooms were automatically conducive to sleep, but they're not; hand-held gadgets, TVs, noisy neighbours and the increasing trend to forego curtains in favour of blinds/shutters at the windows is causing more and more bedrooms to negatively effect our sleep.

I believe that the bedroom is the most important room in your home; it's the place you recharge at the end of a long day. When we moved house last September, my main aim for our bedroom was to create a place we felt relaxed, a place we could be at peace away from daily stresses... a sanctuary if you will. As I feel I achieved this, I thought I'd share with you my top tips for creating a sleep-friendly bedroom in your own home...

1. Invest in a quality bed/mattress
Someone once advised me to invest in both my bed and my shoes, because when I wasn't in one I would be in the other. That always stuck with me so when Hubs and I decided our new home justified us buying a new bed, I was determined to buy the best bed we could afford. We bought a divan base for added storage and our mattress has some fancy temperature regulating tech, which means it absorb and stores heat if the sleeper is too hot; it's then able (do not ask me how as I have no clue) to release it back when you are too cold! It's pretty fancy and it definitely works. Hubs also had a pillow with the same tech, while I bought one specifically designed for front sleepers.

2. A woollen duvet
With such a great base to sleep on, I wanted a duvet that would complement our fancy mattress tech. After quite a bit of research, I settled on a wool duvet because wool has natural thermoregulation properties, meaning it also works to keep you cool when you're hot and hot when you're cold, ensuring a peaceful night’s rest. On top of that, the natural lanolin in wool (basically a natural oil from sheep's skin ) repels dust mites, which is great for keeping our bed clean.

3. Quality linen
We all love freshly washed sheets (in fact a National Sleep Foundation poll found that more than three fourths of people said they are more excited to go to bed when the sheets have a fresh scent) but did you know that the quality of your linen can effect how well you sleep. The higher the thread count (how many threads - lengthwise and widthwise - are woven into one square inch of fabric), the softer (and more flexible) the sheets. Basic cotton sheets start at 150, and good quality sheets start at 180; I sleep on these sheets. If you're looking for a luxurious feel, go with all white linen :)

4. Blackout curtain linings
As humans, we have an internal body clock that mirrors nature's cycles, so our body tells us when it's light we need to be awake (and productive) and when it's dark, our body tells us we should be asleep. Again, modern gadgets (such as phones and iPads) are having a negative effect on our internal clock, meaning we're no longer sleeping as and when we should. In a bid to combat this, I put blackout curtain linings up. Blackout linings block A LOT of light, making them great for homeowners who have street lights outside their home, for babies who need to nap throughout the day, children who need to be in bed before it gets dark in the summer months, and even for shift workers who need to sleep during the day.

What you probably don't know about blackout linings/curtains/blinds is that they also filter a large percentage of the noise from outside, not to mention the fact that they keep the warmth in during the winter and the sun out in the summer, making them fantastic for those of you looking to keep your energy costs down! I think every bedroom should have blackout linings/curtains/blinds.

5. Banish clutter
If you're looking to create a tranquil, restful space, it needs to be tidy. Keeping your room clutter-free and relatively tidy (folding away clothes, minimal knick-knacks, clever storage) will create a calm and relaxed space, which will ensure you get a rested night's sleep. Making your bed every morning, regularly changing your sheets and keeping your room clean will also help.

Home Etc

13 comments:

  1. Banning the tech from the bedroom is such good advice. We had a TV in our bedroom at one stage and it was awful!!! I'd go to sleep watching it — wake up and put it on!!! MUCH more restful to get rid of it. I've put a ban on my mobile phone after 10-pm too. There's scientific evidence that light from a tv/phone/computer screens stimulates our brains, so we find it hard to switch off. Thanks so much for linking up! Caro #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We currently have a TV in our bedroom but there's no aerial so we can only watch DVDs and in the past nine months we have only watched a DVD once :) I find it hard to switch off when using my phone at night so I should implement an after-10pm ban too :) x

      Delete
  2. I was literally saying to my husband last night that I really wanted a soft duvet cover - I didn't realise it was about the thread count. Thanks for the tip, that really helps! xx
    #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need a new mattress. I might just bite the bullet and buy a really good quality one (they're so expensive!). A wool duvet sounds heavenly too!

    #HomeEtc

    www.hellonancy.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are expensive, Nancy but sooooo worth it! Good luck x

      Delete
  4. Black out curtains are key!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips! I am SUCH a moody person if I don't rest well and sleep and so this is right up my street. Although I rarely have trouble sleeping!! Thanks for sharing. Jess xx #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely have trouble falling sleep, but staying asleep in the summer once the sun is awake, that's a whole other story. I feel like Anna from Frozen without my blackout curtains! Thanks Jess x

      Delete
  6. My new mattress is a big help with falling asleep, but I still need to try the wool bedding. I am learning to turn my electronics off early, and I am going to pick up the blackout curtains this week. The one thing I really need to work on is banishing the clutter. I think another great tip could be using a lamp that allows you to dim the lights.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You definitely have the right idea in creating a bedroom that promotes rest and relaxation. A mattress and wool duvet that regulates your temperature sounds like a great idea. I need to invest in blackout curtain linings and turn off the electronics at night. I appreciate the tips you have posted for creating a sleep-friendly bedroom, and I am going to keep these tips in mind when I move into my new home.


    Dylan Lovell @ Mattress Sale Liquidators

    ReplyDelete