Tuesday, 9 December 2014

Christmas, according to me: part II

If you enjoyed yesterday's post, thanks for coming back today to read part two...
N is for Number One
Whether summing up the Christmas spirit or offering a cheesy take on the time of year, there’s been a race to the top of the charts at Christmas ever since Al Martino became the first in 1952 with ‘Here In My Heart’; I have heard that very few other countries care as much as us Brits about who tops the charts at Christmas. I don't care as much as I used too but it did used to annoy me that the latest X-Factor winner was guaranteed the Christmas number 1 - I for one am glad that trend is over!

O is for Oh Come All Yee Faithful
Carol singing is a favourite Christmas tradition for many, but it's something I've never done. Well, not in public anyway, but I do love a good singsong at home, alone!  

P is for Presents
It’s said to be the thought that counts, but that doesn’t stop many people racking up eye-watering credit card bills on lavish gifts for the whole family. I save some money each month throughout the year in order to spread the cost of Christmas - I've done this ever since I moved out of home seven years ago! Before that, from the age of 18, I just saved some money from October and November's wages :)

Q is for Queen’s Speech
Coinciding with my after dinner snooze, the Queen offers her thoughts on the year past at 3pm. I can't say this is something I plan my day around, especially when highlights of her speech can be seen on any Christmas Day news bulletin.

R is for Recycle
As well as having a major impact on our bank balance, Christmas plays havoc with the planet. Every year, Brits throw away three million tonnes of post-Christmas rubbish, including a mammoth 83 square kilometres of wrapping paper. Stats like this make me want to stop sending card and instead donate the money but every year I still send them; maybe next year will be the year?!

S is for Snow
They may be rare here in Blighty – with only seven occurring during the whole of the 20th Century – but that doesn’t stop me dreaming of a white Christmas. 

T is for Turkey
A festive favourite and the centre piece of British Christmas dinner, this is another Christmas food that I don't eat! On Christmas Day, I tuck into a Quorn Family Roast, which is delicious!

U is for Un-opened Gifts
No I'm not mad, I do open all my gifts on Christmas Day but I'm a bugger for feeling gifts that are given to me before the big day in an attempt to guess what's inside! Hubby hates it!!

V is for Very Full
The average adult wolfs down a staggering 6,000 calories on Christmas Day, so it’s no wonder we’re all fit to bursting by tea time.

W is for Wizzard
Glam rockers Wizzard have been wishing it was Christmas every day since 1973, but despite being kept off the top of the charts by Slade’s ‘Merry Christmas Everybody’ in its year of release, it’s the one of my favourite Christmas tunes.

X is for Xmas
You may think this shortened term for Christmas isn’t religious, but X is accurately a Greek abbreviation for Christ. 

Y is for Yule Log
Keeping the house cosy and warm on the run up to Christmas, Yule logs were once burned in the hearth as part of traditional celebrations. Nowadays the term is often used to refer to the rich, melt-in-the-mouth chocolate version that’s served at this time of the year, which, unsurprisingly, is one of my favourite Christmas treats!

Z is for Zzzzzzz
After all the planning, buying, wrapping, cooking and drinking involved in Christmas, not to mention another family celebration on Boxing Day for my Grandma's birthday, I'll be hoping for a few of these come December 27th!

Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment