Tuesday, 12 August 2014

A little spark of madness


Aladdin, Mrs Doubtfire, Hook, Jumanji.

These films are my childhood.
Today, as news of Robin Williams' death occupies newspapers, TV news slots and social media, I am sad.
My heart is broken. 

Robin Williams was one of those special people. One of those actors who could lift your spirits with only a few words. One of those actors who made you laugh and laugh and laugh. However, everything he did also left you with a sense of something bigger. A sense of something worthwhile; life may throw challenges and obstacles at you, but with the right attitude you can overcome anything.

I just wish he could have seen that too. To me, what is so tragic about this situation is that Robin was someone who brought so much light and laughter into countless lives, to people from all walks of life all over the globe, yet he couldn't find the light, laughter and happiness in his own life to keep living.

That is why my heart is broken.

Throughout his long career, Robin played an alien, a genie, a disc jockey, a man who dressed as a woman in order to see his kids, a gay man, an English teacher, a scientist, a prisoner of war and many more. He was as versatile as they come. US President, Barack Obama, said it best: "He arrived in our lives as an alien - but he ended up touching every element of the human spirit."

I hope that death brings you the peace you so craved in life, Robin.
If you're struggling, please ask for help. The number for the Samaritans is 08457 90 90 90
Don't attempt to go it alone. The world needs you, and your friends and family need you more.

Na-nu-Na-nu.
post signature

4 comments:

  1. I have just read this and realised how similar our posts are! So sad that he clearly made such an impact on so many people, made so many people happy, and yet couldn't find happiness and peace for himself. So sad and like you say, that is the big tragedy of it. I hope he's at peace now. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, thank you for leaving The Samaritans' number on my post. I have edited the post to include it. x

    ReplyDelete