Monday, 28 April 2014

My oddities

idiosyncrasy ɪdɪə(ʊ)ˈsɪŋkrəsi/
noun
  1. 1.
    a mode of behaviour or way of thought peculiar to an individual.
    "one of his little idiosyncrasies was always preferring to be in the car first"
  2. synonyms: peculiarity, individual/personal trait, oddity, eccentricity, mannerism, quirk, kink, characteristic 
  3. "his idiosyncrasies included the recycling of cigar butts"

Idiosyncrasies, or quirks as they're more affectionately known... 
we all have them. Some have more than others.

Here (for no reason at all) are ten of mine...
 
  • I can't follow an odd-number of people on social media, particularly on Twitter. 
  • When washing dishes, I have to wash things in a particular order: glasses, cups, cutlery, bowls, plates, saucepans then baking trays.
  • If they're not being used, appliances cannot be plugged in at the mains and switched on.
  • Even on the hottest nights, I have to be covered when in bed. I cannot not be covered if I have any hope of getting some sleep.
  • I HATE it when British people use American spellings, especially replacing an S with a Z!!
  • Thanks to my buddy and fellow book-lover, Sarah, I can no longer fold the corner of books to mark my page - I'm a bookmark girl these days!
  • I can't stand ticking clocks, or watches that make a noise as the seconds of my life tick on by. Hubby has his late-grandfather's watch. It ticks. He can't hear it; I can. He has to put it in a drawer at night so I can sleep, because we all know that a sleep-deprived Laura is a total bitch!
  • Since moving in with Hubby and finding out that one of his pet peeves was unused pens with their lids off laying around the house, I can't leave a pen with its lid off!
  • The volume on my TV or car stereo has to be on an even number, unless it's on 5 or 15 or 25. Odd numbers are bad except for the number 5, which I like more than the number 6.
  • I eat with my knife in my left-hand (not so much as an idiosyncrasy than something that makes me different from the rest of my family).

Life would be boring if we were all the same, 
so share with me your individual idiosyncrasies in the comments :)
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment