Monday, 10 March 2014

The most common grammatical errors that make me MAD

There are so many grammatical errors that we see on a daily basis that we just ignore, 
whether it's because we don't know any better or because we're fed up of being labelled
a grammar snob (which really gets my goat by the way - grammar is important).

So today, I'm going to share with you the top five grammatical errors that I see regularly that truly 
make my blood boil with the hopes that I can teach you the correct way so you can avoid being 
one of the many moronic idiots who wouldn't know good grammar if it smacked them in the face!

Your vs. You're
I simply had to start with this one as it's the most common one I see. How on earth people do not know
the difference between these two yet I do not know! I'll try to break it down for any of you that are still
struggling... YOUR belongs to you, it is yours, whilst YOU'RE is a shortened version of YOU ARE; the
apostrophe takes the place of the A. In my opinion, the best way to work out which one you want is to say
your sentence in full out loud. If you can replace the 'your' in your sentence with 'my' and it makes sense,
you want YOUR, but if it doesn't make sense, it's highly likely you want YOU'RE - got it?!

Apostrophes
Ok, so an apostrophe has two main uses: to indicate possession or to indicate missing letters (e.g. You're).
So, if the book belong to Peter, it's written as 'Peter's book' not 'Peters book', however when using personal pronouns (I, you, he, she, it, we, they), you don't need an apostrophe because the word itself already indicates possession. For example: 'The house is yours' it's never 'your's'. This rule includes the word 'it'. You only
write 'it's' when you mean 'it is'; you never write 'it's' to indicate possession, ever!

Me vs. I
There are two ways to remember the correct usage for this common grammatical error. Firstly,
remember 'I and We' and  'Us and Me' so that if you can replace the I/Me of your sentence with We
you want I, but if you can replace it with Us, you want Me. Second way, and maybe the easiest, is to remove
any mention of a second person and see how your sentence makes sense. For example: 'Laura and I are going 
for coffee' becomes 'I'm going for coffee' not 'Me going for coffee'. 'The cat followed Tom and me to the door' becomes 'The cat followed me to the doornot 'The cat followed I to the door' - easy, right?!

Ado vs. Adieu
This one annoys me no end  but only because I feel so bad for the person getting it wrong. A simple
way to remember this: Adieu means goodbye in French, therefore you should never
write 'without further adieu' because it doesn't make a lick of sense!

Fewer vs. Less
Okay, so I do admit, I think this is kinda a hard one, so I forgive people who do this a lot more than those who don't know Your vs You're. You use fewer when you're referring to plural things: dogs, cats, people. You use less when you're referring to things that do not have a plural: money, music, water. So you'd say that 'people today are buying fewer clothes' but you wouldn't say 'people today are buying less clothes'. You would say that 'people want to spend less money' not 'people want to spend fewer money'. You also use less when taking numbers, for example 'her weight fell from 15 stone to less than 11' not 'her weight fell from 15 stone to fewer than 11'.


Former-WWE wrestler, CM Punk, is also a lover of correct grammar. He made a series of fantastic 
& hilarious videos regarding grammar in letters/tweets from his fans, aptly titled Grammar Slams
Click the links below to check them out:

Hopefully, you've learnt something new today :)
Happy Monday!
post signature
If you enjoyed this post, please share it via your preferred social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment