Friday, 8 November 2013

Are you guilty of online TMI?

We all know someone who shares too much of their life online. 



I have a couple of Facebook ‘friends’ that I've had to hide from my timeline because they post stuff that’s just too personal (you know who you are). Personally, and despite having a blog, I cannot understand why you would want to put certain aspects of your life online. I've read about serious illness, sexual partners/encounters (!) and even grief on my Facebook timeline of late and I just don’t understand it.

Yes, I have a blog, but not everything that happens in my life ends up on here. And for good reason – some things are just too personal. I might be criticised by other bloggers for not being ‘real’ or ‘true’ but that’s just it, I am being real and true, to myself and my beliefs. I do not want friends, family or complete strangers to know certain things about my life – and if I do, then I will tell them in my own way and in my own time. 

Earlier this year, my family suffered a bereavement, a bereavement that was so upsetting for Hubby that he couldn't talk about it. So when a family member posted about said bereavement on Facebook (yes, this really happened!), one of Hubby’s best friends (who happens to be Facebook friends with Hubby and said family member) saw it and, obviously concerned, called Hubby on the phone. Now whilst Hubby appreciated the phone call, he was not ready to talk about his grief/loss (he in no way blames his friend for this). The family member who posted about the bereavement online, in my opinion, did it purely for sympathy - the ‘status’ attracted over 100 comments – but by posting something so personal, this family member had actually taken away Hubby’s choice, his choice to tell who he wanted, when he wanted and how he wanted, and that, for me, is unforgivable.

I'm all for allowing people to grieve in their own way, but why does it have to be on such a public platform, less than eight hours (!) after our loved one had passed? Seriously, what is lacking in your life that you feel the need to share every aspect of your life with people you haven’t seen since school? How on earth can their sympathy provide you with the validation you’re clearly craving?

In my opinion, if you update your Facebook status more than once a day, you need to step away from the computer and actually live your life. Go outside and meet up with some of these 1,000+ so-called friends and communicate face-to-face, the way people used to. Don’t hide behind your computer screen, ‘poking’ people who you barely spoke to at school; it won’t enrich your life, but getting out and into the real world will. 

On your deathbed, do you think you’ll honestly be able to say that all the time you spent online was time well spent, or do you think you’re more likely to regret not visiting these so-called friends, going for coffee, or arranging play-dates with your children?

My advice to anyone who feels like any of this has touched a nerve: ask yourself why it touched a nerve and take a long, hard look in the mirror, then seriously consider deleting your Facebook profile!

As for Instagram and Twitter, well, they’re entirely different beasts altogether!

Happy Friday :)
post signature

2 comments:

  1. Well said Laura! That's disgraceful and I completely agree with you, most people just do it for the attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, I could have really let rip with this post (as it really grinds my gears) but I thought it would be best to be calm and level-headed, lol. I wonder if it'll have any effect on the posts I see though! I won't hold my breath! xx

      Delete