Monday, 28 October 2013

10 things I learned this year

So, I recently celebrated another birthday - I hear they're good for your health; the more you have, 
the longer you live! Anyway, I'm now 29 - I'm approaching the big 3-0 - the scary time when 
you're expected to be an adult!

When I was younger (say 13/14-years-old), I always assumed that by the time I was 30 I would have at least one ankle biter and would be where I wanted to be career-wise - ah, the misguided thoughts of a teenager! Although I am happily married, own my own home and have a steady nine-to-five, I wouldn't say a) I'm where 
I want to be career-wise (thanks Global Recession and subsequent struggling economy!) or b) I'm ready for a child - god no (although, I am closer to being ready than I was two years ago, so, you know, progress and all that)! Life  really doesn't turn out like you though it would. 

Anyway, seeing as I'm all wise and that thanks to being a year older,
I thought I'd share with you ten things I feel I've learned over the past 12 months...
  1. Reading makes me a better writer, speller, grammaticist (is this even a word?) and general conversationalist. I've worked hard to make time to read this year and I need to continue to do so.
  2. Being perfect isn't a thing. Other peoples' blogs lives may seem perfect to me, but they're not. These perfect people have their flaws and their problems, just as I do.
  3. Flossing isn't just something dentists tell you for kicks - they actually want you to do it and it's vital that you do. I had my first filling this year and it's an experience I want to avoid again, at any cost.
  4. It's not about being skinny, it's about being healthy. The older I get, the more I realise being healthy isn't a given; it's something you have to work at!
  5. It's your life, so move at your own pace. Just because your friends are getting married/having babies/travelling the world (delete as appropriate) doesn't mean that's what you should be doing. Do what makes YOU happy, no matter how boring/strange/geeky other people think it is.
  6. Your creativity pool does not come with an endless supply of awesome ideas - in order to stay inspired you need to put back every now and again, whether that's reading a book, browsing blogs or just being still and admiring nature in all its beauty.
  7. Apply night cream - it makes a huge difference to your skin.
  8. People will criticise you no matter what you do, so be true to yourself and live the life YOU want to live.
  9. Do not pick off your nail polish; it will wreck your nails.
  10. Family doesn't end with blood, but it really is EVERYTHING.
Here's to another great year, the last of my 20s!
If you enjoyed this post, could you please share it with others via your preferred social media, thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment