Thursday, 16 May 2013

Interior Design

I've always loved interior design - I was the teenage girl who used to spend hours moving her room around instead of doing her homework or obsessing over boys - but once you have moved out and have your own home, there's only so much you can do without spending thousands of pounds every year to stay 'on trend'. Hubby and I decorated the whole house when we moved in five-and-a-half-years ago but we've not done anything since and, around Christmas time, I started to get itchy feet.

My biggest 'issue' was my living/dining room. It is a large (24ft long) room that has to have a functional dual-purpose: eating and living. When we moved in, the room was painted cream and it was, obviously, empty - to say I was overwhelmed by the space would be an understatement! I had no idea what I was going to do, so, we lived with it as it was for two months (November and December) and set about redecorating in January. I figured this would give me time to see how we used and lived in the space. I noticed that the room was very large and very light, which meant I could get away with decorating in a dark colour. I chose chocolate brown and teal and I was really happy with the results. 

Like I said, that was five years ago but by Christmas 2012 I was starting to question my choices. The room was great in the winter - nice a cosy - but come spring/summer, it was very dark and gloomy and didn't let much light in. After much debate (which included thoughts of painting the whole room AND changing the wallpaper, which was £18 a roll from B&Q - we need four rolls!), I decided that the cheapest and easiest option would be to replace my chocolate brown curtains. I eventually settled on these curtains from Next.
The living-end of the room (a few years) before.
After (open).
After (closed). They're not hanging right because they've just come out of the packet.
The dining-end of the room before (just after our wedding, hence all the flowers & cards).
After (open).
After (closed).
I also bought some new tea light vases from Next to complement the new look...

...and a new lampshade from The Range and a wicker heart from Evolution:

What do you think? I'm well happy with the results - the room is so much lighter. I'm shocked at how something so simple and so inexpensive (just £160 for two pairs of high quality curtains) has transformed the room. All I need now to complete the look are some new cushion covers - I'm looking for white furry/fluffy ones but can't find just the cover anywhere. Everywhere seems to only sell the entire cushion and I do not need the entire cushion - I have hundreds of cushions!

Stay tuned for a master bedroom d├ęcor update, coming soon.
ps - I'm off to my Supernatural fan convention this weekend, so let me know if you're interested and I will make a post about how awesome it was :)

6 comments:

  1. The new curtains look great and certainly make a difference! I love brown and teal together too. For your cushion covers, have you tried dun elm or ikea? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry for the delay in replying hun, thanks for the feedback on the curtains and they make the biggest difference!! It's unreal really just how much of a difference they've made!! I have looked in Dunelm for cushion covers but not Ikea. I could do that, but will probably wait until I need more than just them as it's a few junctions up the motorway from me :) xx

      Delete
  2. Room looks great! Makes me miss Next even more! I might just depress myself further by looking through an Ikea catalogue! One day they may open a decent home store here in Mexico.. sigh......

    Rebecca @ Words and Palabras

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rebecca, I'm really happy with the changes. Do Mexicans not really bother about interior design or are their stores very different to ours? I love Next - they always do such pretty stuff. I usually wait for the sale though and get things cheaper, but I desperately wanted these curtains and didn't feel waiting for the next Next Sale was worth the risk :) x

      Delete
  3. It's not just brighter, but looks warmer and more cozy as well. Those last three photos are my favorites. Very pretty! Also ...

    I've nominated you for a Sunshine Award! For more details, please see my post about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arrwww thanks, Kristen!

      Thank you SO much for the award, I graciously accept and will work on a post and my nominations this weekend! Thank you xx

      Delete