Thursday, 25 April 2013

V is for Vegetarian

Photo source [x]
OK, so this A to Z post is another stretch, because technically, I'm a pescetarian and not a vegetarian (but I really wanted to do Photography for Letter P). I wanted to become a vegetarian aged 11, after watching a video at school about how animals are slaughtered for meat. However, my parents wouldn't allow me to become a full vegetarian because I was still growing/developing, so we compromised and I became a pescetarian.

Pescetarian: an omnivore who excludes poultry, beef, and pork from their diet but includes fish (and usually other forms of seafood like shrimp, oysters, scallops, etc). 


It's not something I'm massively passionate about any more (I'm sure my 11-year-old self hates 28-year-old me) but it has become more of a habit than anything else. I live with a meat eater so I would never try to 'turn' any one to my way of thinking/living ('each to their own' is my motto) but I can't bring myself to start eating meat again after 17 years; come to think of it, I'm not convinced my digestive system could handle meat after all these years. I've been a pescetarian longer than I was a carnivore!

Do you eat meat or fish? What other changes have you chosen to make to your diet?

Find out more about the A-to-Z Blogging Challenge here

8 comments:

  1. I eat both. But more points for fish :)

    -Fellow blogger from A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a meat eater and don't really like fish! I'm the fussiest eater in the world. I won't have anything with Aspartame in because it makes me feel panicky. I check the packets on everything. I am a pain :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At parties, I have to make hubby go to the buffet before me to try things and find out what's got meat in it and what hasn't :) I think he thinks I'm a pain when I do that!

      Delete
  3. I eat almost anything. My family does not like fish, so I always order fish/shrimp/crab whenever we go out. I love crab. It's expensive here, so it's a once a year thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby will eat almost anything - he's a rubbish bin, lol

      Delete
  4. I eat it all. But I have been working more veggies into my diet for the last few months. I always ate a lot of fish, but now I am eating a lot more.

    I have not met a fish yet that I didn't like; except for some bad shark once.

    --
    Tim Brannan
    The Other Side and The Witch
    Red Sonja: She-Devil with a Sword
    The Freedom of Nonbelief

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had some bad sea-bass once and am now a little wary of it - it's a shame how one bad experience can put you off something!

      Delete